Summer is the best time of the year to spend time outdoors and enjoy the warm weather. Though it can tend to be hot, there are so many great activities that you can partake in. Though it’s important to remember to protect yourself from the sun to avoid sunburns, heat exhaustion, and other sun-related damages that may occur from over-exposure.
Activities You Can Do Outside During The Summer
There are many amazing activities that seniors can participate in this summer! Some of the best activities include:
- Going for walks- Taking a walk outside is relaxing and a great way to get daily exercise. If the weather is especially hot that day, you can always go early in the morning and watch the sunrise to wait until sunset when the outdoor temperature is cooler.
- Going swimming- Many seniors enjoy taking swimming classes indoors but during the summer you have the opportunity to swim outdoors. Swimming is another great exercise that cools you off and is perfect for hot summer days.
- Practicing yoga- Doing yoga indoors is also effective but there’s something so relaxing about practicing yoga outdoors in a park. You can take in the scenery around you and unwind while listening to the calming sounds of nature.
- Growing a garden- If you have a large empty outdoor space and are interested in growing your own food you can begin a garden. Gardening is active but calm as it doesn’t require rash movements. Even if you don’t have ample outdoor space, you can purchase some pots and plant vegetables indoors.
- Going on a picnic- Whether you invite your friends or your family, finding a nice shady area to picnic at is a fantastic way to enjoy the warm weather. It can also allow you to spend time with your loved ones and eat great food!
- Going to see an outdoor movie- Outdoor movies gained popularity, especially during the lockdown. Whether you choose to sit at an outdoor theater or pull up to a drive-in theater, you can get the opportunity to watch movies in a more creative and innovative way.
No matter what activity you choose to do, it’s always a great idea to involve your loved ones. Spending time with them creates lasting memories for everyone.
How To Enjoy Time Outdoors in The Summer
Though the weather can get stifling, everyone still wants to spend time outdoors in the summer! There are many ways that seniors can enjoy the heat and stay protected at the same time. Some of the best options for beating the heat include:
- Using sunscreen
- Staying in shady areas
- Wearing brimmed hats
- Wearing long sleeves and pants that go to your ankles
All of these practices can help protect you from damaging UV rays and ensure that you are protecting yourself as much as possible when being outside in the sun.
Additional Risks To Look Out For
Spending time outdoors in the summer is always a go-to for people across the country, but it can be incredibly dangerous. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, has reported that every year over 5 million Americans suffer from skin cancer due to improper skin care. Of those 5 million, the vast majority are those aged 65 and above. Due to this staggering number, it is incredibly important to apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
Additionally, before you go out you should make sure to check the heat index for the day and plan activities accordingly. The hottest hours of the day tend to be from 10 in the morning to around 4 in the afternoon. If you have activities planned during these times, monitor yourself closely and look out for any signs of exhaustion or heat stroke.
Why You Should Wear Sunscreen Outdoors
While many seniors believe that they may not need to use sunscreen as often or as consistently as younger people, that simply isn’t true. Scientists have reported that even 15 minutes spent in the sun can cause damage to the skin if it’s left unprotected. The Skin Cancer Foundation has even said that skin cancer rates greatly affect those 65 and older and those in that age group should take special care of their skin.
It is recommended that seniors use a combination of sunscreen products in different formats. For example, it is recommended to own gel, cream, and spray sunscreen products. One type of sunscreen is not optimal for all parts of the body so owning an array of differently formatted products can give you optimal protection for every varying area of the body.